Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure Web Directory?

From: Joseph Tam <tam () MATH UBC CA>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:17:03 -0700

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019, Mujtaba Talebi wrote:

I have a feeling that our email addresses may get sold or shared to
marketing companies who sell/share our email addresses to other firms.

Not a feeling, but reality.  For example, one of these companies that
hoover up addresses into sellable lists recently leaked 763 million
addresses.

        https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites#VerificationsIO

They are by far not the only players in this space.  You may even find
some in your mail logs, poking and prodding with Rumplestiltskin attacks.
If you use tagged bait addresses, you may even found which one did it.

Joseph Tam <tam () math ubc ca>