Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure Web Directory?

From: Linc Nesheim <nesheijl () WHITMAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:10:27 -0700

Various changes have been made to our public directory over the years.
 Most of those were attempts to thwart the scraping of contact information
-- throttling, limit number of results, requiring extra clicks, etc.  Some
were effective for short periods after implementation, but none for very
long.

We currently have a memo/proposal going through internal channels
recommending we remove the universal public directory altogether.  Any
department or group that wants contact information available via
unauthenticated methods is free to post it on their self-managed sites.
Our full directory still being searchable behind our portal for internal,
authenticated users.

As a side note, I participated in a focus-group a couple of years ago where
we learned the surprisingly-common behavior of how folks search for
information -- go to Google.com and search for institution name + search
term was used more often than going to a particular site and using the
site's internal search mechanism.  This suggests the intended audience for
these public directories may not actually be the most active users.  :-/

Linc

-

*Linc Nesheim*
Information Security Officer