Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure Web Directory?

From: Benjamin Schwartz <bschwar2 () ASHLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 06:50:59 -0600

We completely removed our public facing directory about 2 years ago for the reasons you described and saw a significant
decrease in those kind of attacks, almost immediately. We allow departments to still publish their contacts through
their own web page so we still get some from Dean level or admin assistance. We moved the directory to an internal
portal. We knew we couldn't stop all the attacks, but we have certainly limited them. It seems the community has
adjusted to the change. A well setup auto attendant has helped as well.

Benjamin Schwartz
Director of Infrastructure and Security
Ashland University