Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Nick Semenkovich <nick () SEMENKOVICH COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:07:43 -0500

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Brandon Hume <Brandon.Hume () dal ca> wrote:

On 28/10/2014 6:32 PM, Nick Semenkovich wrote:

Why would students care about a school e-mail they may rarely use,
perhaps didn't want, and will likely disappear in a few years? Because it
impacts some external spam score metric that's of little importance to them?

The phishing exploitation we've had to deal with has had a fairly large
percentage of the spam going out under the user's own name. So when I
encounter this particular attitude, I remind them that all that wire fraud,
the ads for drugs, Russian brides, and so on, has been forever immortalized
by the Internet.  In their name.  The first thing a prospective employer
will type into Google.

It comes down to: "Good luck finding a job."

That seems like a stretch. :)

Spam e-mails they send will end up posted online? Then search engines (that
actively de-prioritize spammey-things) won't suppress those results? And
employers will conclude they were an active Russian spam king?

Maaaybe it works with gullible phishing victims :)

--
Nick Semenkovich
Laboratory of Dr. Jeffrey I. Gordon