Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Brandon Hume <Brandon.Hume () DAL CA>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 19:45:41 -0300

On 29/10/2014 5:07 PM, Nick Semenkovich wrote:
For the users who get phished, the question shouldn't be "How can we
make our users better?" but instead -- "How can*we*  be better?"

Why not both? We're talking about .edu... fundamentally, people are supposed to be learning. As you said, there's a steady stream of users coming in, and wacking them all in the head is both tiring and useless. But by that same token, there's a steady stream of people leaving out the other side, and you want them to be able to take care of themselves.

It's absolutely unfair to the user to punish them for a first offence when they've been given no idea what to watch out for, I completely agree. But when you're dealing with second or third offences, or "lol, who cares" attitudes, the situation becomes a little fuzzier. I really don't consider it any different from coursework... if the student shows up but the professor doesn't, they can (and should!) raise hell at the exam. But if the student doesn't even show up to class, we do in fact punish them... we punish them by withholding their degree; we punish them monetarily by making them take the course over.

- How is it that our users can secure their Twitter accounts with
two-factor, but not their access to our e-mail systems, HR, and
payroll? (That arguably borders on negligence in more regulated
fields, like banking and healthcare.)

Totally agree, especially in the age of ubiquitous mobile devices. I think part of the problem is cost, though. Remember that IT budgets are getting squeezed and squeezed hard... it can be hard to get someone to loosen the purse strings to implement something to protect people from the consequences of doing something they should never have done in the first place.

- Why is it even*possible*  that having just a single user's (probably
weak) password can result in high levels of access (VPN connectivity,
spam/phishing mail sent, payroll changes, educational FERPA-protected
records, etc.)?

To a certain extent because a) users will recycle passwords, and b) hoops placed between services result in users setting up backdoors for themselves (and when you shut down those backdoors, they get even more resentful and feel more entitled to even *more* backdoors...) Even the two-man rule seems too much for too many people. We live in an age where Cisco deliberately puts backdoors in their products (to short-circuit support calls) and developers create software that needs Domain Admin to function because they can't be bothered to figure out ACLs.

- Why do we allow a user, who's been connecting to Webmail from the
US, to suddenly authenticate to POP from China or EC2 and send 10,000
messages to domains we've never sent mail to before?

This is a good point, but what mechanisms use this level of bayesian analysis? Educational institutions in particular will have researchers travelling far and wide, and it only takes one high-placed researcher getting shut down when he tries to email his class list to cause angry phonecalls and the demand to "turn the bloody thing off".

Essentially this entire discussion is rooted in the classical conflict: what people need to do versus what they want to do. And as a species we're terrible at sorting that out without positive and negative stimulus.

I think thanking users for spotting and reporting phishing emails is a good positive stimulus... you want the user to feel like a hero for not falling for it and alerting you. Only speaking for myself, there's nothing more satisfying than running into a "mere user" who is actively contemptuous of the latest phishing email. I can understand why heavily taxed IT departments with a lot of users might shy from that, though... you can feel like you're spending more time thanking the users than dealing with the spam!