Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Nick Semenkovich <nick () SEMENKOVICH COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:32:21 -0500

Ouch -- there's nothing to gain by blaming your users.

Why would students care about a school e-mail they may rarely use, perhaps
didn't want, and will likely disappear in a few years? Because it impacts
some external spam score metric that's of little importance to them?

I'm always reminded of this Microsoft Research paper when it comes to user
phishing education:
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/80436/SoLongAndNoThanks.pdf

User-education is a time sink that never ends. Implement good two-factor
and phishing is a ~non-issue.

- Nick

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Robert Meyers <REMeyers () mail wvu edu>