Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:28:57 -0500

One more step I've personally taken is try to contact owners or vendors of the sites serving the phishing attacks. I've
noticed an increase in hacked WordPress sites that are then used to serve up web forms to gather the information. I try
to notify the owners of those sites to lock down their site and delete the phishing forms.

We're a smaller school, so this out going spam gets reported to our president's office, the dean of students, etc. They
are all pushing back on us to "do something about it." We had a big push for phishing education last spring and again
this fall. It does seem to be sinking in somewhat; the numbers have fallen off dramatically.

I do agree about the school email address. I would love nothing more than to completely do away with it. 10 years ago
it was a novel thing; now every incoming student already has a yahoo, gmail, outlook.com, etc email address. Most that
I've talked to see this as a necessary evil for school communications (a large number just set up forwarding rules to
forward all mail to their outside email). Unfortunately, institutional momentum is a big issue as everyone builds
processes based on local email accounts for students, so a lot of processes and systems would need to be changed to do
away with student email addresses. Also, some vendors use .edu email addresses as a verification that a person meets
the criteria for an educational discount. I don't know how that would be handled.

Thomas Carter
Network and Operations Manager
Austin College
903-813-2564