Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: "Manjak, Martin" <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:38:29 +0000

Number 1: I try to always thank them.  Depending on the circumstances, I may explain the background. ("This came from a
compromised account at <some>.edu.") As often as not, we're seeing the phish for the first time because it was
forwarded to us by another employee. In that case, we look at the link and set up campus blocks to the site.

Even though it can be time consuming, I always try to respond because It makes them feel like they got it right (they
properly identified a phishing message), and they're helping to protect the campus by reporting it.

These will come in waves, and not everyone will forward the message every time. In fact, your "regulars" will start to
develop a sense of commonality as they take the time to examine these messages. The payoff here is that the really
unusual ones will grab their attention and they will forward those to you, which is exactly what you want.

Although it sounds a bit unseemly, think of it as cultivating a bunch of informers; or a human early warning system.

Marty Manjak
ISO
University at Albany