Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Joel Anderson <joela () UMN EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:57:46 -0500

We absolutely encourage these reports - we even have a special email "
phishing () umn edu" to receive the messages. This puts them in a special
queue *and* gets a custom reply thanking and telling them how to give
message headers (in case they didnt'). We block email replies, divert DNS
to form pages as well as thanking the informants. In addition, we seed
information into forms to discover where attackers are coming from if
(when!) they are successful. I just put out a SANS paper on this process.

--
--
   joel anderson * joela () umn edu *  @joelpetera