Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Paul Chauvet <chauvetp () NEWPALTZ EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:29:48 -0400

Hi Nick,

I appreciate the response. Our remaining phishing issues are extremely rare compared to what we once had. It used to be
5-6 people a month falling for phishing scams, now its down to not that many in 2014 all together. Our training program
has led to a large drop in malware issues on client PCs as well.

Aside from two-factor (which we will have eventually), we already have in place many of the features you've had. I
won't go into specifics, but most important services are only accessible via Campus IPs (or via VPN for some users).
Doing that with email will never really be a viable option. We do have notices and alerts for 'abnormal' IP connections
to our SMTP server. Faculty/staff who frequently travel to other countries do get whitelisted for these issues. The
impact of a phished email account has been reduced.

What we haven't done is implement DMARC and SPF hard fails. DMARC has its own problems, especially with regards to
mailing lists. In my opinion it is a solution that causes more problems than it fixes. SPF hardfail causes similar
issues in my opinion. The phishing attempts we do receive (that get through) aren't spoofing our domain.

Just to clarify though - the two people who were reprimanded fell for three simulated phishing attacks as well as two
or three actual phishing scams (not just simulations). One of those two users who eventually did receive an official
reprimand didn't just stop falling for scams but became a proactive reporter of phishing emails. We made sure that even
that reprimand was not done in a vacuum. It was done in concert with in person discussions letting the individual know
that we are there to assist them - not just to warn and run away. The other user is not proactive about reporting, but
has also been far better about not falling for these issues (simulated or otherwise). Punishment is the absolute last
quiver in the arrow - not the first one we fire by any means. I've studied the psychological aspects of security and
we've included a lot of positive reinforcement with regards to security which we favor, but reprimand/punishment isn't
though something that can be completely ignored as an option.

Paul Chauvet
Information Security Officer
State University of New York at New Paltz

Phone: (845) 257-3828
chauvetp () newpaltz edu