Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent Phishing Uptick

From: Derek Diget <derek.diget+educause-security () WMICH EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:47:20 -0500

On Feb 20, 2014 at 11:26 -0500, Paul Chauvet wrote:
=>That is a FANTASTIC idea. There are sites which are often used for
=>phishing but not exclusively enough that we can block them. Doing that
=>(via our Ironport of those URLs are detected) is a great idea.
=>
=>We will probably be implementing this here. My sincere thanks for this

=>idea!

Beware of dragons.....

This may sound like a good idea, but modifying message content (which
includes Subject:) breaks "signed" messages.  Be it DKIM, S/MIME and/or
PGP.

I am thinking of a DKIM signed message that happens to include a

webs.com link.  Something that wouldn't be unusual to see.

=>P.S. Would you be willing to share (on-list or off-list) a list of the

=>URLs of these hosting services that you use this for?

There's an app^H^H^H list for that.... See
<http://groups.google.com/group/anti-phishing-email-reply-discuss>

--
Derek Diget                            Office of Information Technology
Western Michigan University - Kalamazoo  Michigan  USA - www.wmich.edu/