Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Planning for future of IT career

From: Bob Williamson <bob_williamson () AW ORG>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:09:22 +0000

I have been noticing an ongoing trend of schools much larger than ours going "cloud only".  Being a smaller school with
only a couple IT workers, I am hoping to get some insight on the future of IT careers from those in larger environments.

Question:  As things go more to the "cloud", what type of skills for IT professionals do you envision will be in most
demand?

Examples:  It seems to me that low level Exchange server and VMWare skills will become less important.  Whereas
routing, wireless, and firewalls might become more important? Etc.

Thanks,
Bob Williamson
Network Administrator
Annie Wright Schools | 827 N Tacoma Ave, Tacoma, WA 98403 | www.aw.org
D: 253.272.2216 | F: 253.572.3616 | Bob_Williamson () aw org