Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent Phishing Uptick

From: Mally Mclane <mally.mclane () BRISTOL AC UK>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:42:33 +0000

Josef

Don't suppose you could share the regex?

Mally
On 20 Feb 2014 16:37, "Josef Fortier" <fortier () augsburg edu> wrote:

We are using Google Apps, which does not offer the content altering
functionality that IronPort does. But it does offer "Content compliance"
which offers enough to be mildly useful here. We've set up a set up a
rule to a apply a set of regexes against messages looking for the free
hosting sites which, if matched triggers "Prepend Custom Subject" with a
simple light warning (and a copy to an alerting mailbox). A quick glance
at the recent matches shows a handful every few days, with about 1/4
phishes (the rest are typically forwarded emails with personal web
pages). We've received no complaints about this policy since we
implemented it 6 months ago.

Your "Modify the spam before delivering" trick is awesome!  Which
mailsystem are you using, and can you share a bit more about your technique?

--
Josef Fortier
Systems Administrator