Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft antivirus

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:11:52 -0500

On 03/12/2013 12:00 PM, Jason Gates wrote:
Accepted risks and environments differ between institutions, but for
our environment I expect that security layers will inevitably fail
and if some do, I'll sleep better knowing we would have a better than
basic chance at preventing a compromise. Agreed, there is no magic
bullet, but a fence is as strong as its weakest link. -jason

While I agree with your premise, I am convinced that all* AV are equally different. I'm no fan of Microsoft (quite the contrary), but my experience with FEP, while disappointing, is better than it was with McAfee. Either way we had drive-by infections. Either way we have too many users logged in with administrative rights.

For those that are able to take advantage of SCCM its possible to leverage the data (something we didn't have with our McAfee license). And, to make it even better, our jumping from McAfee was a given -- they tried to gouge us on license fees (a steep increase) so the money saved by going with FEP can be spent on other enhancements.

I'm not arguing that FEP is better than its competitors, I'm saying that in my experience it isn't substantially different (certainly no worse) and is a perfectly valid choice. That wasn't what I was saying when we switched, but experience can be persuasive.

Tim Doty

* not literally all, but at least reasonably common. And the samples I've recovered of what got by FEP are not normally detected by McAfee...

-----Original Message----- From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent
Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of
Barros, Jacob Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:55 AM To:
SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Microsoft
antivirus

I'm with Jeff on this one.  Based on our technician's feedback, what
we have found is that nothing works perfectly.  We can spend a
fortune trying to protect endpoints from zero-day vulnerabilities
that might not be effective.  So despite the lack of bells and
whistles, we went with 'free' and have not regretted it.  What it
lacks in protection we can usually make up for with AD group
policies, software updates, user education and a good ng firewall
(for while they are here anyway).

Jake Barros  |  Network Administrator  |  Office of Information
Technology Grace College and Seminary  |  Winona Lake, IN  |
574.372.5100 x6178

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>