Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft antivirus

From: "Fisher, Matthew C" <FisherMC () WOFFORD EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:58:46 +0000

We have been using MS Endpoint AV for a while now and it works well...especially for the price. We had it integrated
with SCCM 2007 and have since upgraded to SCCM 2012 and everything works out good. Like previously mentioned the
reporting is good and with the SQL back-end you can create more custom reports if needed to meet your needs. The
detection/remediation seems to be pretty good as well...but as with any AV though there will still be some things get
through the cracks here and there. The CPU and Memory consumption of the AV client is not too bad either as its
in-line or better than some other AVs we tested out. The SCCM 2012 agent will deploy the AV for you if that is setup so
deploying it is very easy. It saves us a lot of money so it's worth it for our setup. The only issue we run into
occasionally is that the  definition update process relies on Windows Update and if that service gets stopped for any
reason your definitions will fall behind.

As for MAC/Linux clients I have not tested that yet so I don't really have any input on that portion of it.

Thanks

Matt Fisher
Wofford College
Information Technology