Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Side Ports

From: "Hahues, Sven" <shahues () FGCU EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:03:48 -0400

On our residential network we try to give students the same internet access as if they had a cable modem at home:

We use our network registration system to place gaming consoles into a network with publically routed IP addresses and
allow some ports back in for Xbox live and PSN.  This helped a lot for the people who reported that xbox live did not
work behind NAT (which it unfortunately really does not), and fixed most of the PSN problems as well.

Normal devices, such as PCs, and iphones do not end up on that network, but rather end up on private IPs that get
NAT'ed to the Internet. We do not block anything there but have a system in place that detects P2P traffic and
quarantines users based on the number of offenses, and we also rate shape our users for fair use.  (We had a really bad
problem where 5% of the users were using 90% of the bandwidth).