Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Mapped Network Drive

From: Daniel Bennett <dbennett () PCT EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:57:16 +0000

Does anyone have experience with mapping a network drive in Windows 7 and XP that would stay mapped during a reboot but
require credentials after each reboot?  Example below:

I map a G: drive (\\server1\secure<file:///\\server1\secure>) using alternate credentials.  I then use that drive all
day Monday.  I then power my machine off at the end of the day on Monday.  I come into work on Tuesday and power my
machine on.  I double click the G: drive in Computer or My Computer and it prompts me for my credentials.

I want the above process to happen.  All I have been able to find is to map it once and have to do it each time or
remember the credentials.

Any advice would be good.

Thanks,

Daniel Bennett
IT Security Analyst
Vice-Chair North Central PA Members Alliance

Pennsylvania College of Technology
One College Ave
Williamsport, PA 17701

P:570.329.4989
E:dbennett () pct edu

ITS and Penn College will never solicit you for your username or password in an e-mail.