Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Side Ports

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:15:48 -0400

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Jason Rinne <rinnej () moval edu> wrote:

Now that our bandwidth has increased more users are jumping back on our network.  As a result I am getting a lot of
requests to open ports for online gaming.
What is your policy on opening ports on the student side for gaming or other applications?

A lot of folks have chimed in but they've not said what I consider the
magic words. Are these inbound ports or outbound ports?

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox GPEN, GCIH
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems