Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Side Ports

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:38:36 -0500

Kevin Wilcox wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Jason Rinne <rinnej () moval edu> wrote:

Now that our bandwidth has increased more users are jumping back on our network.  As a result I am getting a lot of
requests to open ports for online gaming.
What is your policy on opening ports on the student side for gaming or other applications?

A lot of folks have chimed in but they've not said what I consider the
magic words. Are these inbound ports or outbound ports?

No, they didn't.  We don't allow inbound SYNs to our resnet, but don't
restrict gaming outbound much at all.  In fact, we have done a few
things to make a couple of poor performers better.  Yes, Blizzard, I'm
talking about you!

- ken
kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox GPEN, GCIH
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems

Any request to divulge your UNI password via e-mail is fraudulent!