Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identity Finder

From: "Peterman, Martin (mdp4s)" <mdp4s () VIRGINIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:27:33 -0500

We have been using it for over 2 years.

We use both the PC and Mac versions.

We customize the installations for both.

My review and advice:

Create university policy first.
Have a good understanding of the proliferation and the use of the data you are hunting for.
Read the Identity Finder manual and understand how individual settings impact what is found in a scan.  Understanding
how to govern false positives is important for the remediation of the report.
The product performance is topnotch.  The Mac version is a work in progress.
The customer service is unparalleled.  (It's great to see recommendations we made show up as features in the software.)

Overall, I would definitely buy this product again.

Contact me offline if you have more questions about our situation.

Have a great Friday,
Marty

Marty Peterman, CISSP
peterman () virginia edu<mailto:peterman () virginia edu>
Information Security Analyst
Information Security, Policy, and Records Office (ISPRO)
Office of the Vice President/CIO
University of Virginia, 2400 Old Ivy Rd.                 Phone  434.243.4909
Box 400898, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4898               Fax    434.243.9197
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/security/