Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identity Finder

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:34:04 -0600

On 12/17/2009 3:00 PM, Richard A MacLaughlin wrote:

I am looking into products (or free utilities) that can scan for SSNs,
credit card information, and anything else that would be considered
sensitive.  Currently, we use Cornell Spider, but I'm looking for
something more powerful and consistent.  It has been mentioned to me
before to look into Identity Finder as a  potential solution and it
looks promising, but I was wondering if any of you had any hands-on
experience with Identity Finder or if you could recommend a better or
different product?

I've contacted their sales department to give me some more information
about specific questions I have, but I'll reiterate one question here
in case any of you have hands-on experience.  It seems like the
product is primarily geared toward Windows environments, so I'm
wondering how successful (if at all) it is at finding any true
positives when scanning file extensions that aren't native to
Windows.  Of course, I'll reiterate that I'm definitely open-minded to
other solutions beside Identity Finder if there is something better.

Deployed it (for Windows) about a year ago. Have not yet done the Mac
version but will deploy that in Spring '10. Very capable. Some bugs but
good support response. If you have large sites, get the central console.

--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti