Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Identity Finder

From: Richard A MacLaughlin <ramaclau () VALDOSTA EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:00:02 -0500

I am looking into products (or free utilities) that can scan for SSNs,
credit card information, and anything else that would be considered
sensitive.  Currently, we use Cornell Spider, but I'm looking for something
more powerful and consistent.  It has been mentioned to me before to look
into Identity Finder as a  potential solution and it looks promising, but I
was wondering if any of you had any hands-on experience with Identity Finder
or if you could recommend a better or different product?

I've contacted their sales department to give me some more information about
specific questions I have, but I'll reiterate one question here in case any
of you have hands-on experience.  It seems like the product is primarily
geared toward Windows environments, so I'm wondering how successful (if at
all) it is at finding any true positives when scanning file extensions that
aren't native to Windows.  Of course, I'll reiterate that I'm definitely
open-minded to other solutions beside Identity Finder if there is something
better.

Thanks,

Richard A. MacLaughlin

Information Security