Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: key topics to include in security awareness training materials

From: Karl Heins <Karl.Heins () OIST UCSB EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:34:40 -0800

Tim,

Having just started as the CISO at the University of California, Santa
Barbara campus, I also have been looking at security training.  We have not
determine either the content or how the training will be delivered.
Computer based training (CBT), with a way to automatically track people who
have completed the training, seems the logical way to go.  The challenge is
making CBT so people will stay engaged in the material.

One of the best CBT that I have seen is at Texas A&M University, they have
3 different online interactive security awareness training modules: Staff,
Faculty, & Students.  It is open for guests to demo.   I like that it
focuses the "process" part of the training to the audience.  Take a look at
the first module in the student training and you will see what I mean by
process.  It is gripping right from the start.

<http://infosat.tamu.edu>

Another source is the NIH required training that is linked to the UC Davis
security site.  the URL provides a refresher and various specific items.
Also, a lot of "process" is included however I question if the animation
really is the best way to communicate security issues.

<http://irtsectraining.nih.gov/#>

I am looking forward to reading the other comments on this thread, in that
I am at an early stage of developing the security training for this
location.

Karl

Karl Heins
Chief Information Security Officer