Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: key topics to include in security awareness training materials

From: David Seidl <dseidl () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:26:59 -0500

Tim,

We're a couple of years into our security awareness program. We do a combination of online training required for new
employees and incoming students, posters, table tents in our dining areas, postcards, and ads in our student newspaper.

We have an extensive site behind our entire infosec program: http://secure.nd.edu

Our current design is part of our switch to a new secure wireless network. Each time we send out a flyer with a theme,
then will send out postcards and email to support that theme. Every year we do two surveys assessing our impact - we
look for two touch communication, as well as general uptake of our communications efforts.

Past themes have included:

"Is your computer secure?" - AV and anti-malware, updates, screen lock, and password security
"Why Information Security?" - explaining why we have an obligation to secure data and systems
"Is it Secure?" - our information security program kickoff
"2008 New Years Resolutions" - password sharing, paper records disposal, spyware/AV, and updates.

We've had a lot of success with our program thus far, with significant growth in awareness per our survey results.

David
David Seidl, CISSP, GCIH
Information Security Program Manager
Office of Information Technology