Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: key topics to include in security awareness training materials

From: Dave Kovarik <david-kovarik () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:36:11 -0600

Sorry, forgot to include topics...
Phishing, encryption, illegal downloading, backup & recovery, general
security practice (e.g., firewall active, anti-virus, spyware scans),
use of passphrases, not to "automatically" open or respond to IM and
e-mail messages, regulations affecting data handling, e-discovery,
security services we offer (e.g., scanning for vulnerabilities and PII),
contract language where sensitive data is exchanged, anything else that
might be immediately relevant

Tim Cline wrote:
Greetings,

I wanted to send a very general email message to start a conversation
on security awareness. For those of you who have something that you
currently use for security awareness training and dissemination of
information, whether developed in-house or third-party courseware
management platform, could you send a reply and let me know what are
the key topics that you are covering?

Regards,
Tim Cline

Tim Cline
ITS Security Analyst
ITS Security / Information Technology Services
(919) 445-9388
Tim_Cline () unc edu