Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Brenda B Gombosky <brenda.gombosky () LOUISVILLE EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:43:33 -0500

From reading all the threads - we must get more than our fair share - we are still averaging about 40 + a month.  We
do not block P2P nor do we use NAT.  We use clean access in our dorms so we can track a student down to the bed in the
room.  A little harder with wireless and with faculty staff as you have to dig through logs.

I am interested in know the Penalties in place - if any - Network shutoff?  Wired and Wireless? Length of time, first
offense, second offense etc.

We are reviewing our policies right now and though the RIAA says it is backing off - we haven't seen it yet.

Thanks in advance for sharing your policy.

Brenda B. Gombosky, CISSP, CISM, CHSP
Director, Enterprise Security
Information Technology
University of Louisville