Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:38:52 -0500

Anand S Malwade wrote:
I was wondering how other Universities deal with RIAA notices ? Do you really invest
the time and effort to track down ? what methodology and tools do you use for
investigation ? Do you block all peer-peer traffic ?

It's been interesting reading the range of options in the replies so far!

We've done a number of things over the years, but our current practice is this:

Normally, P2P traffic is limited by both bandwidth and total volume in each 24-hour
period, so our non-P2P bandwidth performance is relatively acceptable.

Using DHCP and NAC logs/records, I identify the user responsible for the IP at the time of
the infringement. We use public addresses, so this isn't too terrible. You NATed folks
would have to use NAT logs as well.

We then enter the computers in question into a list which is prohibited from using P2P
applications by a firewall rule in our Procera Packetlogic bandwidth manager.

We record the details of the infringement, and notify the student of the infringement and
that their P2P access is now blocked for the rest of the academic year. We clear the
blocks in the summer as part of the clean-up of accounts and such preparing for the new
year in September. The student is advised their responsibility is to both remove the
infringing content and to cease infringing copyright altogether. The P2P block is just our
way of helping them out ;-)  They may appeal this restriction if they wish.

--
Best Wishes for 2009,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich. --Sara Bernhardt.