Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:58:19 -0700

We have a web interface to our ARP logs where I submit the IP address to find the MAC address connected at the
infringement time.  That has a cross reference to the IPAM registration for that MAC where I find the owner and email
address.  I forward the complaint to the user - removing the contact info for the copyright watchdog and prepending a
statement of our action being taken in response to the complaint.

I disable the IP registration in our IPAM and post to our user-searchable disabled-issues database.  I send a minimal
response to the watchdog and file the complaint.  To get network access back, for that MAC, the user has to respond
with confirmation that the infringing file(s) have been removed and pay a $50 administrative fee.  Repeat infringers
are referred to the student discipline officer (I don't know what happens there).

We were getting one or two a week up until this month;  I had 10 last week and two already today.

Bob Bayn     (435)797-2396     Security Team coordinator
"IT will NEVER ask for your password via email, honest!"
Office of Information Technology at Utah State University