Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Steve Worona <sworona () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:49:00 -0500

Regarding the parts of this thread discussing the Higher Education
Opportunity Act (HEOA):

For a reasonably quick overview of the past, present, and future of
HEOA's P2P provisions, see
<http://connect.educause.edu/Library/EDUCAUSE+Review/OnMakingSausage/47454>.
Among the references at the end of that article, you'll find a link
to the "Manager's Report" that provides extensive discussion as to
legislative intent
<http://help.senate.gov/Hearings/2008_07_29_E/Statement_of_Managers.pdf>.
In that latter document, the relevant pages are 115-117. On Dec. 31,
the Department of Education announced
<http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-31176.pdf> that the P2P
provisions will be the subject of "Negotiated Rulemaking", with
single-issue negotiators focusing on that topic alone. Negotiations
are supposed to start in February.

Someone in the thread made reference to HEOA Section 773, and, in
particular, language referring to watermarking, fingerprinting, etc.
Section 773 is narrowly focused on a new (unfunded) R&D grant program
aimed at developing material for students with print disabilities,
with no direct or indirect connection to the general P2P provisions
under discussion.

Steve
--
Steven L. Worona
Director of Policy and Networking Programs

-----