Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Peter Charbonneau <Peter.Charbonneau () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:35:51 -0500

Brenda,

  Our policy is:

        First Offense -- one week network access denial for the computer in
question.

        Second Offense -- two week network access denial for the computer in
question and a visit to the Dean of Students for the registered owner.

        Third Offense -- Network access denial for the computer in question
for the remaining school year and a subsequent visit to the Dean of
Students.

  Denial for network access is wired and wireless.  We make a
distinction between computer and owner.  The computer is in violation
and the registered owner is responsible for cleaning it up.

  FileSharing police backing off?  Not so far.

  At the present time, we do not block or attempt to block P2P.  This
may change in the near future for budget reasons, but we'll see.