Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:10:20 -0700

And we get less than our "fair" share.  I doubt it's because our students are more aware or law abiding.  The top 25
list from the MPAA seems to have a geographic bias for some reason, and includes a few schools smaller than mine and
apparently with no better network connectivity than we have.

But I've received more DMCA complaints this month than ever before.

Our penalties include:
1) disabling their IP registration indefinitely, pending a response from the user, and
2) a $50 administrative fee, and
3) confirmation of removal of the infringing file and P2P software to have their IP registration re-enabled.
4) Repeat infringers are referred to the student discipline officer. (this is rare, maybe 2% of cases)

When they complain about the $50 I tell them to count their blessings and refer them to:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/stanford_turns_dmca_complaints_into_cash.php

Bob Bayn     (435)797-2396     Security Team coordinator
"IT will NEVER ask for your password via email, honest!"
Office of Information Technology at Utah State University