Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Notices

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:59:46 -0600

Brenda, et.al.  -

Our procedures are similar to most of the others reporting.  In terms of
penalties:

   * 1st offense
         o network shutoff
         o require removal of infringing content and p2p software
         o sign a statement acknowledging removal and a basic
           understanding of copyright,
           http://access.uni.edu/forms/its/actvstmnt.pdf
         o after the form is returned, network access is reinstated
   * 2nd offense
         o network shutoff for 30 days
         o referral to Dean of Students for administrative hearing (for
           students)
         o meeting with CIO for staff member and supervisor (for
           faculty/staff)
   * 3rd offense
         o permanent loss of network access
         o probably severe sanctions from Dean of Students and CIO, but
           we've never had a 3rd offense

- ken

Brenda B Gombosky wrote:
From reading all the threads - we must get more than our fair share -
we are still averaging about 40 + a month.  We do not block P2P nor do
we use NAT.  We use clean access in our dorms so we can track a
student down to the bed in the room.  A little harder with wireless
and with faculty staff as you have to dig through logs.

I am interested in know the Penalties in place - if any - Network
shutoff?  Wired and Wireless? Length of time, first offense, second
offense etc.

We are reviewing our policies right now and though the RIAA says it is
backing off - we haven't seen it yet.

Thanks in advance for sharing your policy.

Brenda B. Gombosky, CISSP, CISM, CHSP
Director, Enterprise Security
Information Technology
University of Louisville
Miller IT Center, Room 109
Louisville, KY 40292
(502)852-5037
(502)419-6689

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems