Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New e-mail attack using valid webmail accounts

From: Brian Friday <bfriday () LASIERRA EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:11:14 -0700

Just got a user reporting to have received on of these messages just
this morning. Unfortunately they forwarded the message without headers
so still waiting for the juicy details.

From address was "EDU ACCOUNT UPGRADE TEAM <arippy () purdue edu>"
And of course the reply to went to a live.com address

Brian Friday
Manager, La Sierra University's IT: Infrastructure Department
Tel: (951) 785-2900 / Fax: (951) 785-2908
Riverside, CA 92515
Email: bfriday () lasierra edu

Infrastructure: It is the telephone on your desk, the wires in your
walls, the email you check daily, and the network that ties it all
together.