Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New e-mail attack using valid webmail accounts

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:39:34 -0400

The account was easily identified by checking mail tracking logs.  It
was a student's account.  I am certain the attack was random as no other
accounts nor services were targeted.  We checked audit logs on other
services the student had access to (e.g. registration, payment, online
classes, etc.) and the attacker did not use the credentials anywhere
except on webmail.  The person sending the spam had an IP address
originating in the Netherlands.  Whether they were physically at that
location we'll never know [without spending a lot of resources].

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University