Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New e-mail attack using valid webmail accounts

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:30:51 -0400

Just so everyone knows how serious this is, and for a good laugh for you
all and a sore forehead for me (after banging my head on the desk):

Our helpdesk folks sent out a message to our campus telling people not
to reply to this e-mail or similar e-mails.  One user responded back to
their e-mail with the requested information.  Yep, username, password,
DOB, and country.

The ignorance and carelessness of people astounds me.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University