Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New e-mail attack using valid webmail accounts

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:08:13 -0500

We use IPSwitch Whats Up Gold.  We have the enterprise version which has
an Exchange monitor that will monitor queues.  However, I abandoned it
and separated the queue monitoring into a WMI monitor in Whats Up Gold,
which is all the special enterprise exchange monitor action does anyway.
You could do the same with any monitoring tool that is capable of
pulling performance counters using WMI or SNMP or even use a VBScript
that is fired off using the task scheduler.

You will find the performance counter to monitor using WMI under SMTP
Server\Remote Queue Length under the instance _Total.

There are other queue monitors you can use as well.  Here is an article
describing a few of them:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123740(EXCHG.65).aspx

Matt

Matthew Jenkins