Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Michael Hornung <hornung () WASHINGTON EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:56:43 -0800

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 at 09:18, Julian Y. Koh wrote:

|We use a Packeteer PacketShaper.  It definitely doesn't handle the
|encrypted P2P file transfers that well, which led to our having to create
|dynamic subpartitions for our dorm/wireless/VPN IP ranges to limit
|unclassifiable traffic to 512Kbps per host based on IP address.  But
|overall it seems to be working quite well with that arrangement.

This brings me to a concern I have.  At UW we too have a Packeteer device
doing some shaping for parts of our network and a major problem is the
lack of visibility into application-layer characterization.  I'm all ears
if others have found good tools to characterize a network's colorful
traffic.  Our Packeteer cannot categorize 81% of our outbound traffic,
currently.

 Michael Hornung          UW Technology
 hornung () washington edu   University of Washington