Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Dan Oachs <doachs () GAC EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:00:20 -0600

We used to use a Packeteer but recently upgraded our internet connection
beyond the capacity of the unit we had.  So instead of spending a lot of
money on a new one we decided to give what we call Bandwidth Fairness
<https://gustavus.edu/gts/Bandwidth_fairness> a try.  Basically, if
there is bandwidth to spare, everyone gets what they want.  However we
keep track of how much each IP uses and the more you use, the lower your
priority for when we start to max out.

We have seen more RIAA notices since we made the change which means we
have more user education to work on.  Other than that, it seems to be
working well.  Casual users have a fast browsing experience and people
that use P2P 24/7 have a reason to cut back some.

--Dan Oachs
   Gustavus Adolphus College

John Kristoff wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:18:55 -0600