Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:39:54 -0500

Youngquist, Jason R. wrote:
What devices are you using to monitor P2P traffic and how well are they
working for you?  Is there some P2P traffic that you believe your
monitoring software isn't catching?  Ie. encrypted traffic, outdated P2P
definitions from the vendor, etc.

We've used Packeteer's Packetshaper for several years with good success.
I don't have any bad words for them. We recently switched to the
Packetlogic by Procera, mostly for the P2P features. Definitions are
updated frequently, and the ability to drill down into a specific
connection is remarkable. It also offers firewall features at layer 7,
which can be a useful adjunct to your regular firewall, which is likely
focused on connections and port numbers.

Without attempting to block absolutely all P2P traffic on campus, we
feel we've got the DMCA notices down to a tolerable level.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"From the wells of disappointment
where the women kneel to pray
for the grace of God in the desert here
and the desert far away:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

Sail on, sail on
O mighty Ship of State!
To the Shores of Need
Past the Reefs of Greed
Through the Squalls of Hate
Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on." -- Leonard Cohen.