Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall - Outbound Ports

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:55:46 -0600

Some suggestions:
SNMP
Microsoft networking (Netbios/445)
SMTP except for authorized mail servers
TFTP
Maybe IRC? (that ought to generate some remarks :) )

I certainly agree that upper-layer intelligence is also a great idea.  To me filtering out some of the basic ports cuts
down on a lot of the basic issues without too much loss in functionality.

Corbett Consolvo
Information Security Analyst
Texas State University