Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Alex <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:34:47 -0500

Jason:

Your email mentioned monitoring, not necessarily taking some action.
Also, I dont think monitoring notices is the best strategy for determining
success.
Some of the newer applications present challenges for accurately
implementing some policy (like rate-limit or block ares-warez).
It is difficult to accurately identify every flow for some of these
applications.
Many of these applications support many protocols.
Limewire supports TLS, and Ares-Warez has supported some form of encrypted
communications for some time.

At University of North Carolina, we use TippingPoint intrusion prevention
systems for enforcing a peer-to-peer policy.
TippingPoint has been very helpful and worked with us, especially with the
latest version of LimeWire.
However, we are still challenged with technical hurdles posed by AresWarez.
It seems that only some of the flows can be accurately identified.
This leaves us with blocking all the users traffic, or letting some traffic
by.
As far as monitoring alone, what we use works very well.
We mainly see bittorrent, utorrent, limewire, and areswarez applications.

As an aside, what are other institutions doing for BitTorrent - an
application with much more legitimate use?
Anyone decided that the work involved in handling notices and possible
litigation makes it not worth it?

Alex Everett, CISSP
University of North Carolina