Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Extremely High Spam Statistics

From: Mark Bruhn <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:11:51 -0500

The email addresses in our online directory have been images for several
years.  (http://people.iu.edu).  Works very well, and I don't know of many
complaints.

We see about 30,000,000 connect attempts per day, and sampling that shows a
pretty steady spam rate of 87%.  That includes rejected connects and
messages identified as spam by Puremessage (those messages go into a user's
junk/spam folder, and are deleted after 5 days).

M.

---
Mark S. Bruhn
Associate Vice President for Telecommunications
Executive Director, REN-ISAC
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326