Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Extremely High Spam Statistics

From: "Walter E. Petruska" <wpetruska () USFCA EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:06:30 -0800

We've varied up and down each month, but normally we're about 30 Percent passed thru, with 70% blocked as either spam
or virus-containing.  The trend from a few years ago was steadily negative, we eventually instituted enterprise
scanning/blocking which reduces the storage load and risk of delivery of spyware/viruses to the end user, but it still
takes up a fair amount of our bandwidth, with SMTP being the 6th highest on our Internet link.

I've heard some schools being up to the 80's, but 90% or above seems pretty outrageous.

Walter Petruska
CISO
University of San Francisco