Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Extremely High Spam Statistics

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:46:01 -0600

At 06:51 PM 2/12/2007, Tim Lane put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Hello,

I would be interested in comparing our spam stats with other institutions.  We are currently sent around around 450
000 emails per day, of which 98-99% are spam leaving around 5000 valid email messages passed through.  This is
transparent to our uses who only receive valid email.

Are other institution's spam levels this high?  I would be very interested in hearing stats as I thought global rates
were only around 90-95%.

Your levels on spam seem high to me.  I'd suggest that you change your public
directory to not include email address in plain text.  You can obfuscate them,
see our directory for an example.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.