Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: Nathan Hall <hallnk () ONEONTA EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:57:21 -0400

Stephen Bernard wrote:

It sounds like what is being said is, "as long as the external symptoms
of a problem are hidden it isn't a problem". This is exactly why some
network security practitioners take the tact that firewalls are a bad
thing because they make system administrators complacent and leave end
users naively vulnerable.

I think that before we can judge how successful a solution is we must
define the problem we are attempting to solve. Here at Oneonta our
initial intent was to prevent rapidly spreading network worms (think
Blaster, Nachi, Sasser). These worms generally spread by remote buffer
overflows. If a host has a firewall configured in a way that prevents
Nessus from detecting the vulnerability, the host will also be
invulnerable to a worm exploiting that vulnerability. As our goal was to
prevent the spread of worms, machines with an appropriately configured
firewall do meet this goal. The potential for changes in firewall rules
is one of the reasons we continue to scan the network for newly
vulnerable hosts.

We are now working on expanding our system to deal with other infection
vectors, such as those you mention. There are a number of ways we are
looking to deal with this:

IDS/Honeypot - We have currently integrated Snort into our system.
Machines with traffic matching a small set of signatures are
automatically removed from the network. In the future we may also add
one or more honeypots to detect hosts attempting to attack our network.

Banner Scanning - We have created a small utility to scan for known
banners on specific ports. Many recent viruses open listening ports and
will respond with a known response upon connection or execution of a
specific command. Integration of this tool with our system will allow us
to identify some infected hosts and remove them from the network.

Anti-Virus - This is why I originally posted to the list. We would like
to be able to verify that all students are running an updated anti-virus
solution. If everyone was running updated AV many potential infections
would be prevented. This is the most appealing as it actually prevents
the infection, as opposed to the two above, which are both reactive.

While none of these solutions are perfect, they are all better than
nothing. We expect that when combined they will provide us with a
powerful tool to improve the security of our network.

Nathan