Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:06:33 -0400

If all you mean by registration of computer systems is that we create a
database of IP address, MAC address, and validated UserID at minimum,
then we've almost always required registration. We also have
user-supplied data on OS platform and dorm location for students, and a
sometimes-outdated database of staff machines.

We own those IP addresses, we'll let you use one if you ask nicely, and
we'll track you down if you take one without permission. Do whatever you
want to with your computer, but if you want to put it on my network, you
must play by my rules. ;-)

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid. " - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Steve Schuster wrote:

We are currently running into a backlash with respect to policy requiring
the registration of all computer systems that are on our network.  Can you
help me gauge if there are other schools who also require this?

Thanks,
sjs