Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: "Helms, Sandra" <SANDY () BUMAIL BRADLEY EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:18:38 -0500

Thank you so much!  You might want to save what you sent me - I have a
feeling others will be asking as well...  I understand from our sys
admins that if the Windows XP firewall is turned on (which we want) the
Nessus scan will not then be able to scan the machine to see if NAV
exists, daily updates are set, Windows updates are current, etc.  Is
there a work-around for that?  I'm concerned kids will turn on the
firewall with a worm-infected machine and still be able to spread it to
others via their network port.

Thanks again.

Sandy