Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: jack suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:34:06 -0400

We are also looking at this. Here are some options that I have
discussed with my network group, we still haven't settled on a solution
for fall.

1. We run our own AV dat server for mcafee. We log each ip address that
does a DAT file lookup. We have talked about taking those log files and
building a database of systems that have done the DAT update. We
require people login whenever the power up their machine and would
query the database to verify that the machine has "updated there virus
dat" within a reasonable window.

2. We have talked about a second option of writing a small app in C/C++
that runs in startup and opens a port we can test and get back the AV
information, similar to your active/x approach. Myself, I hate enabling
active/X so I'm not as keen on that approach. We would implement this
through the CD-ROm we are planning to have the students run to setup
their resnet config.

3. We have talked about requiring students to enroll in the E-Policy
server. We decided that may be too intrusive of students and have put
that on hold for this upcoming fall. We will mandate through policy
they have to run our virus software but not force them to be in the
E-Policy. Our installer for mcafee points them at our server and sets
up the config

finally, let me mention a couple of things and put in a plug:

1. U-Minnesota-Diluth and Brown University did a nice presentation on
some interesting things they are doing with resnet at the security
professionals workshop.
http://www.educause.edu/asp/conf/function.asp?PRODUCT_CODE=SEC04/
SESS06&MEETING=sec04

2. Chris Misra of UMass- Amherst is chairing an Internet2 security
group on network authentication and management (netauth).
http://security.internet2.edu/netauth/index.html

Here is my plug, I co-chair the security task force and have been
working on the effective practices security guide that Eoghan Casey
developed (www.educause.edu/security/guide). We are always looking for
case studies to add to the guide! If you have done this please consider
submitting a case study.

Finally, on a personal level, I'm trying to work with  people from the
Resnet and security communities to get a whitepaper developed looking
at securing resnet. I'm interested in hearing any interesting ways
people are securing resnet.

thanks

Jack Suess, CIO, UMBC