Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:07:01 -0400

Nathan Hall wrote:

Now that we have found a way to check students' machines for missing
patches before they are allowed on the network, we are looking to expand
to checking for the presence of updated anti-virus software. This
requires access to the students' machines, so we are looking at using a
web page with a .NET component to perform the check. A few questions:

1) Is anyone else doing something like this currently?
2) How have you implemented this (web page w/ ActiveX/.Net, downloadable
program...)?
3) What do you look for to determine if AV software is present (registry
entries, services, running processes...)?
4) How successful has it been?
5) Pitfalls?

Any other input would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

We're not doing anything now but hope to be by fall.

We'd started developing a suite of "StartSafe" HTA/WSH/WMI
scripts provided via the web to provide this functionality
and lots more. When you can get an agent (login script,
ActiveX control, whatever) on the end system, the
possibilities (and issues) are limitless. :)

Then we started thinking about integrating it with
something like Netreg by having the scripts set a
cookie that Netreg could read during registration.

But now we're looking at running the scripts through
Perfigo's CleanMachines. Legacy platforms without
WSH/WMI would be done through registry checks.

The question of whether to enforce a standard AV product
is a good one. It would seem that trying to check for
a myriad of products and versions across platforms
would be tedious and error-prone. We have a site license
for Symantec so operationally we could do it. Scripts
could help a user in removing old AV and installing new
AV.

As for the firewall issue I've seen brought up in
several followups, we're considering configuring the
firewall so it allows access from our official security
scanner machines. We'll have to provide some
configuration templates for xpsp2 anyway or we'll have
people turning it off when they can't get something
working.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer