Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Checking for AV software on students' machines

From: "Jason S. Cash" <cash () UDEL EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:22:18 -0400

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Steve Schuster wrote:
[clipped]

We are currently running into a backlash with respect to policy requiring
the registration of all computer systems that are on our network.  Can you
help me gauge if there are other schools who also require this?

 UDel requires dorm computers to be "registered" in that we keep track of
macaddr/userid in a database.  This system is currently encouraged for the
rest of campus, though there are quite a few admin/lab machines that have
static addresses given out long ago.  The goal is to have all machines
registered to a specific owner, admin, department.

 Many campus admins are actually for this plan so they can register
their 'critical' servers.  This way we can automate the port shutdown
programs to also notify the admin/owner of the machine via
email/pager/etc.

Jason

Thanks,
sjs